- This event has passed.
Summer Fellowships for Advanced Turkish Language
February 1, 2019
THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM: For summer 2019 (late June – early August 2019; dates to be determined in the spring), the American Research Institute in Turkey will offer approximately 15 fellowships for advanced students for participation in the summer program in intensive advanced Turkish language at Boğaziçi University in Istanbul. This intensive program offers the equivalent of one full academic year of study in Turkish at the college level. The fellowships cover round-trip airfare to Istanbul, application and tuition fees, and a maintenance stipend.
PREDEPARTURE ACTIVITIES: Participation in the program includes 6 hours of preparation prior to departure for Turkey, most of which will be on-line orientation activities, followed by 10 hours of orientation upon arrival in Istanbul.
COURSE OF STUDY: ARIT fellowship supported courses are offered at the advanced level. Class size is limited to ten students. Each class meets twenty hours per week. Classes are held on weekdays from 9 am to 1 pm. They are conducted in Turkish, with informal and formal styles introduced and reviewed through instruction, language laboratory work, and open conversations with teaching assistants. In the afternoon, students meet with teaching assistants on an informal basis for additional instruction and free conversation. Participants also attend extracurricular activities including films, lectures, and cultural events both on- and off-campus.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Full-time students and scholars affiliated at academic institutions are eligible to apply. To be a fellowship applicant, you must:
- Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level academic program, or be faculty
- Have a minimum B average in current program of study; and
- Perform at the high-intermediate level on a proficiency-based admissions examination
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Complete the application on-line. Transcripts and letters may be submitted separately, either electronically or by mail to the address below. The application deadline is February 1. Please pay the application fee via the link below. The application includes:
- Application form including your statement of purpose
- Three letters of reference, including one that addresses your abilities as a language learner
- Official transcript
- Application fee in the amount of $25 via Paypal.