Call for Applications: Lab ManagerPosted on August 10, 2023
Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director of PIL, the incumbent is responsible for the management of the SHARIAsource Lab, including leading the team to ensure the achievement of the Lab’s goals, facilitating the development and implementation of tools and platforms, and coordinating among project stakeholders. This is a less-than-half-time position. Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Hours: 10-14 hours per week.
Pay: $50-$60 per hour.
Deadline: August 24, 2023
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manage SHARIAsource Lab:
- Facilitate the planning, development, and implementation of digital tools and platforms
- Advise on strategy for the development of digital tools and platforms with a focus on integration of AI and machine learning capabilities to support academic research
- Take an active role in coordinating all activities of the SHARIAsource Lab
- Oversee the creation of appropriate internal and public-facing documentation necessary and helpful for the development, maintenance, and use of PIL applications and websites
- Coordinate with managers of programmatic and publishing branches of PIL to achieve overall PIL objectives
- Identify performance indicators and supporting program metrics, in partnership with the team, and ensure that systems are in place to support reporting to Executive Director and Faculty Director
- Work collaboratively with PIL staff and faculty as well as stakeholders from other collaborating partners both at Harvard and beyond
- Create and distribute program documents and reports, including material for use with funding applications and social media postings
- Draft grant applications for funding of digital tools and platforms and PIL research goals
- Other duties, as assigned, which may include occasional night or weekend duties due to program activities
Support Financial and Human Resource Processes:
- Provide input to Executive Director on budgeting and strategy
- Work with appropriate personnel to process vendor and other payments
Develop the Program Experience:
- Support the development of effective program experiences for a range of programs with appropriate integration of digital tools and texts
- Identify potential student engagement opportunities and develop, with the Executive Director, new student-related programmatic initiatives, including a student internship program
- Develop relationships across the university to leverage existing and emerging expertise
- Oversee employees and contractors responsible for the maintenance and upgrading of PIL and SHARIAsource applications and websites, including the Islamic Law Blog and the PIL website
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Four years progressively responsible experience in academic program management or similar environment
- Sufficient expertise in programming and application development to manage and communicate with programmers and IT personnel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrated proficiency in drafting documents for review by University-level faculty and senior staff
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once; outstanding organizational skills; ability to synthesize information and projects; and ability to work collegially as part of a busy team
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and others, such as InDesign and related online tools; willingness and ability to learn others quickly, as needed
- Experience in higher education strongly preferred, including knowledge of professors’ and students’ expectations, experience, and needs
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with Harvard faculty and with staff across HLS and the University
- Familiarity with social media, cloud-based applications, and willingness to research and learn new technologies
- Familiarity with (or ability to quickly learn) Asana for project management
- Experience applying for grants in an academic context preferred
To apply: Interested candidates should send a resume or CV in with a brief description (3-5 sentences) of why they are interested to Emma Reilly at <[email protected]> with [email protected] cc’d. All materials must be in PDF format.