- This event has passed.
Call for Applications: Assistant Professor of Islamic World, SUNY-Geneseo
November 15, 2019
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ISLAMIC WORLD, SUNY – GENESEO
The History Department at SUNY-Geneseo is seeking applicants for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position with a focus on the history of the Islamic World before 1800 to begin August 2020. The department consists of twelve full-time faculty who teach courses in history and other interdisciplinary programs.
History faculty typically teach four-credit courses, alternating between a 2-2 and 2-3 load.
• Teach a range of History courses at the undergraduate level, including and especially courses that cover the history of the Islamic World, and related subjects not currently covered by department faculty
• Teach skills-based seminars that include research methods and/or historiography
• Teach general education courses outside History, including courses in humanities and first-year critical writing seminar
• Conduct research and publish in area of expertise
• Contribute to pedagogical and curricular innovation, including work with digital scholarship or methods
• Provide academic advisement to students
• Mentor and supervise undergraduate research and other projects
• Contribute to governance through service at the department and college level
• Contribute service to the discipline, university, and community
Applicants should upload a cover letter that addresses the qualifications, a CV, a statement of teaching philosophy of no more than two pages, and evidence of teaching effectiveness (consisting of sample syllabi, peer observations, and/or summary teaching evaluations). In addition, applicants should supply contact information (email address) for three references. Those candidates selected for an initial interview will also be asked to submit or provide access to a writing sample.
Review of completed applications will begin upon receipt. To be guaranteed consideration, applications must be completed by November 15, 2019. The search committee anticipates conducting initial interviews in the middle of December. Campus interviews will be completed by early February 2020.
Our priority is teaching excellence. We seek someone with a strong commitment to teaching in a liberal arts setting and who is prepared to teach both introductory courses and advanced courses in their area of expertise. A commitment to working effectively with students from diverse backgrounds is essential. To learn more about our department, please visit https://www.geneseo.edu/history.
Among the goals of the search is increasing the diversity of the faculty on campus, and we therefore welcome applicants who are from groups that are historically underrepresented at the College.
For more information on what we can offer faculty visit: Academics at Geneseo